10 Facts About Mould
- Mould, mushrooms and yeast are types of fungi.
- Fungi are found both indoors and outdoors.
- Mould can be different colours - furry, slimy or powdery. Some have musty, stale or earthy odours.
- Mould needs water, oxygen and food to grow. It can grow almost anywhere there is water, high humidity or damp conditions.
- Some people are allergic to moulds. The most common symptoms of mould exposure are cough, congestion, runny nose or trouble breathing, eye irritation. Mould can also worsen asthma symptoms or other allergies.
- Bleach does not kill mould.
- Painting over mould will not kill or seal it up.
- The best way to prevent mould is to remove the water and moisture sources.
- Just because you can’t see mould, doesn’t mean that you don’t have it.
- Before you consider cleanup you should detect and repair the moisture source first. Otherwise mould will return.